From: Veikko Makela (Veikko.Makela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/25/1995

POLLEN CORONAS IN FOCUS 2/3
(2) Even here in Finland we have observed mainly three type of
coronas: birch, pine and spruce, there must be several other plants, mainly threes, which can release enough pollen grains to form coronas. We expect at least alder and willow pollen. There must be rather high density of pollen in air, before coronas appear and mainly strongly flowering trees can produce good pollen cloud. There is no need that parent trees are very near the observer, because in good conditions pollen grains can fly hundreds of kilometers by winds.

The pollen coronas is a such nice phenomenon, that you can conclude the approximate shape of grains from the shape of corona. If the grain is spherical, also the coronae is spherical. If the grain is elliptical, the coronas are oval. In this case the orientation of grain and coronae ellipse is in turned 90 degrees. Eg. if the grains are lying horizontal in the air, we see vertical elliptical coronas. The physical reason have explained by Bohren in above mentioned Applied Optics article. The shape of ellipse varies by solar altitude. That is due to viewing direction. We see only the projection of ellictical shape of pollen grain. And further, the diameter of coronae gives an approximately size of particle. By the way, is there any simple formula to calculate corona size from particle size. At least it is inversely propotional the size. As bigger grains as smaller coronas.

A symmetric grains gives symmetric coronas. But often pollen particles are not symmetric. Eg. conifer trees have often two air bags in the main grain, so that they look like "Mickey Mouses". Any asymmetricities produce complicated features to coronae, such as brightening on the top and sides of corona. These are very difficult to calculate analytic. Traenkle and Mielke from Free University of Berlin have made computer simulations (Traenkle and Mielke: Simulation and analysis of pollen coronas, Appl. Opt. Vol 33 No. 21, 20 July 1994, pp. 4552-4561).

(continues in the next message)