From: Mark Vornhusen (mark.vornhusen_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/28/1999

Dear mailing list members!

The Danzig display reported by Hevelius in his "Mercurius in Sole visus" is propably the most famous halo displays of all. One of the reasons is that he describes a 90 deg. Halo, which is still unexplained. Propably the 90 deg. Halo was a subhelic arc in reallity.

Some weeks ago I found a book in the Herzog August library of Wolfenbuettel (Germany) titeled " Siebenfaeltiges Sonnenwunder oder sieben Nebensonnen, so in diesem 1661 Jahr den 20. Februar neuen Stils am Sonntage Sexagesima um 11 Uhr bis nach 12 am Himmel bei uns sind gesehen worden". In English this means : Seven suns seen on Feb/20/1661 from 11-12 o`clock at our sky. The book was published in March 1661 only one month after the display. It contains a sermon of the Danzig priest Georg Fehlau. Fehlau preached the text on March 6th in the Danzig cathedral. This was only 14 days after the halo display. My first expectation was that this is a so far unknown independent observation of the Danzig halo display which may solve Hevel`s halo.

Unfortunatly I was wrong. The discription of the display given by Fehlau is nearly totally similar with Hevel`s. I was wondering first, because Hevel`s book was published in 1662 about one year after Fehlau`s publication. Fehlau gives credits in his book to Hevelius and says that he visited him on March 3th 1661 to observe a comet with Hevel`s telescope. Probably Hevel showed him his notes of the halo observation on this day. This means that Hevel wrote down his observation immedeately after the halo display.

Fehlau describes the 90 deg halo based on Hevel with these words: "... On this circle (comment: parhelic circle) stood three silver suns. One in the northwest opposite of the sun, one in the northeast and one in the southwest. Through the two last gone a piece of a white circles arc, comming from the top. So that it seemed that there was a white cross going through the two white parhelia. This cross was very marvelous and was visible for 1 1/2 hours."
Hevel also mentioned that the pieces of the circle formed a cross with the parhelic circle. A subhelic arc cuts the parhelic circle under a small angle and can`t look like a cross. This is an argument against the opinion, that Hevels halo was a subhelic arc.

Fehlau writes that the whole city talked about the sky appearance in the last 14 days, still talkes about it and will talk about it in future. At the end of his writing a drawing of a halo display can be found. He did not mention this drawing in the text. So it is unsure if this is a drawing of the Danzig display. It is different form Fehlau`s description of the phenomenon. I make this drawing temporary available for you on this site: http://members.tripod.com/~regenbogen/hevel.jpg .

Regards,
Mark Vornhusen