From: Chuck O'Connell (ChuckOConnell_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 12/28/1999

Hi Bev,

Sundogs can give a couple of different appearances.

The most common one is where you can plainly see a bright spot and an arc which is part of a larger circle that is centered on the sun.

The second appearance occurs when the 'sun dog' is formed on a cloud that is much closer to the observer. In this case the 'rainbow' is spread out 'across' the cloud. Because of this the normal uniform thickness
of the color bands becomes distorted - some seem longer and smeared out. Some people refer to this as a 'rainbow cloud'. I've only observed this a handful
of times in 20 years of looking. It is very beautiful. I've also never found a picture
in any book that really matches it - perhaps now I should pick up Greenlers
book....

It is possible that my description of the 'second appearance' listed doesn't get the
mechanism correct - but I think it's pretty close. If anyone knows differently, please enlighten me!

Chuck