From: Karl Kaiser (k.kaiser_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 12/30/1999

Hallo,

I think every member of the meteoptic mailing-list has seen light pillars in high clouds and perhaps pillars in diamond dust. Sometimes it is also possible to see this phaenomenon during snowfall, especially during nighttime at bright artificial lights.
On 25 th of December 1999 I made a very interesting observation of pillars during rainfall.
The days before in Austria we had very low temperatures, at Schlaegl
(northwest of Linz in Upper-Austria) I measured -22°C. In the vallies the
cold stayed, in higher regions the temperature climbed up to 0°C and more
(inversion layer). On the evening of 25 th the temperature was at -4,8°C
when it started raining. Soon the streets were covered with slippery ice. At artificial lights I saw bright pillars upon and below the light sources. First I did not belive my observation - rain and ice-plate crystals side by side? But later I observed falling ice crystalls in the light of our entrance lamp. Slowly they fell down, glittering in front of the dark colour of the door.
The phaenomenon lastet 15 minutes.
It was funny seeing two pillars produced by the spotlights of cars even when the cars where behind small hills.

Best regards and best wishes for 2000

Karl

Karl Kaiser
http://home.eduhi.at/member/nature