From: watcher_at_hidden_email_address.net
Date: 01/02/2000

Wow, that's quite lucky! It would be interesting to hear of other folks' stories about very unusual conditions.

Here's my most recent fantastic observation:

Many people are aware that the underside of clouds can have a bright spot on it, caused by the reflection of the Sun off of a nearby lake. Of course the cloud has to have a sharp edge so that the Sun can illuminate the lake.

One morning at the airport, we were taxi-ing to take off, and I saw what was 40-60 individual reflection spots on the underside of the cloud deck! As it happened, we had a decent amount of rain just the previous couple of days, so all the little streams, lakes, and watering holes for cows were topped up with water.

Then on ascent, we climbed right into the cloud deck and through the light path of a couple of the spots! I could see the sunlight reflecting in the individual lakes/streams/etc, and of course the ground reflection of the Sun would shift as we continued to fly perpendicularly to the Sun.

It is the last time I ever fly in a plane without my camera!

Alister.