From: Jun Lao (antares_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/03/2000

Alister,

When I travel by air, I make sure I have a camera on hand. There are a lot
of nice atmospheric phenomena when airborne (of course, having a window seat not across the wing helps a lot :-).

My friend was flying over Canada when he spotted a glory from the plane's shadow on a cloud deck. Since he was carrying a camera, he promptly took a
photo of the glory and sent it to me. Have also seen halos and irridiscent
clouds when flying - some people probably think I'm some weirdo taking pictures and looking at clouds through the window - that or that this was my first time flying :-)

Regards,

Jun

At 01:39 PM 1/2/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Wow, that's quite lucky! It would be interesting to hear of other folks'
>stories about very unusual conditions.
>
>Here's my most recent fantastic observation:
>
>Many people are aware that the underside of clouds can have a bright spot
>on it, caused by the reflection of the Sun off of a nearby lake. Of
course
>the cloud has to have a sharp edge so that the Sun can illuminate the
>lake.
>
>One morning at the airport, we were taxi-ing to take off, and I saw what
>was 40-60 individual reflection spots on the underside of the cloud deck!
>As it happened, we had a decent amount of rain just the previous couple
of
>days, so all the little streams, lakes, and watering holes for cows
>were topped up with water.
>
>Then on ascent, we climbed right into the cloud deck and through the
light
>path of a couple of the spots! I could see the sunlight reflecting in the
>individual lakes/streams/etc, and of course the ground reflection of the
>Sun would shift as we continued to fly perpendicularly to the Sun.
>
>It is the last time I ever fly in a plane without my camera!
>
>Alister.

Jun Lao
Manila, Philippines
14.5o N 121o E