From: Max Kok (m.r.kok_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/19/2000

Hello Veikko,

I observed aurora near Hamburg, Germany and indeed saw a NLC between the auroral display. I still have to work over my observations, pictures and video but will keep an extra eye for this NLC.

>From my memory it showed up around 0.30 UTC at approx azimuth 20.
It disappeared at about 1.30 UTC when dawn became too bright. (I still have to check this data !!).

At the place of the NLC there was also some auroral substorm activity. I'll
attach a picture. The bright spot just above the end of the wood is the NLC,
but on this picture it looks more like another auroral arc. I know for sure that it was an NLC, because I've done a lot of study to distinguish them from aurora -which is my first observational goal. Especially in this time of year NLC's can look a lot like Aurora from here (The Netherlands).

If you like to know more, feel free to mail me.

Greetings,
Max Kok