From: Jarmo Moilanen (jarmom_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 09/22/2000

Dear Karl,

Nice observation.

The "parhelion" in your drawings and photos is so small spot, that any measurements are not very fruitfull. It is almost impossible to know is this
spot halo's closest point from the sun or not.

Even if you find out that it is 3.5-4 degree away from 22 degree halo, it can
still be a part of 24 upper parhelion. Unfortunately it seems that there is no
other hints about what those crystals were which produce that small spot of
colors.

In the end, I can't say anything sure without seeing original photos. Quality of
those scanned photos is not good enough. But remember, there will be always a
halos which we don't know yet! Maybe this your case is one, but unfortunately it
doesn't tell too much for us and explanation by already known halos (24 uph) is
quite possible...

Jarmo Moilanen
Finnish Halo Observers Network

|====================

| Jarmo Moilanen
| Säräisniementie 250
| FIN-91760 SÄRÄISNIEMI
| FINLAND
| e-mail: jarmom_at_netppl.fi
| homepage: http://www.netppl.fi/~jarmom/index.htm
|====================

Subject: Observation of an unknown halo

Dear members of the mailing-list,

In the morning of 4th April, 2000 I observed an interesting halo phaenomenon in
Rohrbach (Upper Austria): I saw the 22° and 46°halo, both 22°parheliae, the
upper tangent arc of the 22°halo, upper sun-pillar, circumzenithal arc and an
unknown halo with the colors like a sundog - towards the sun red and on the
other side blue. It was situated 3.5 to 4 degrees outside the 22°halo above the
left sundog and therefore I think it was no 24° Upper A Parhelia. I have put drawings and images of the phenomenon at my homepage that show the
real arrangement of the halos in the sky. The second sketch with the scale matches exactly the distances measured on the slide.

The photographs were taken with a 35 mm objectiv. Time of exposure: 0540 UT.

My observation is published in Meteoros, 3/7, 2000 (Informations of the "Arbeitskreis Meteore e.V", Germany).

Can anybody explain my observation? - Thank you!

Best regards to you all from

Karl

Karl Kaiser
http://home.eduhi.at/member/nature