From: Kevin Boyle (newchapelobservatory_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/29/2002

> from: Michael Ellestad <bowlturner_at_YAHOO.COM>
> date: Wed, 29 May 2002 03:53:42
> to: METEOPTIC_at_listserv.funet.fi
> subject: Re: Bright corona from the 25th
>
> Dear list members,
>

> While outside taking a break from woodturning I
> glanced up and saw a vivid corona that had a
> central blue disk with red rim and an outer vivid
> rainbow ring. For those who want to see it heres
> a fantastic photo I got. Later on that day I got
> a half-way decent odd radius display that had
> different pyramidal arcs.
>
> Enjoy...
>
> Best,
> Michael

Hi Michael

You can make your own glory and brockenspectre in your own living room! All you need is a kettle ( preferably an old-fashioned type that doesn't automatically switch off) or even better a tea urn ( again not automatic ) and an ideal room where sunlight can shine through. It may help actually to let sunlight channel through an open door in a darkened room. Make sure you fill the kettle or urn as much as possible and boil the water and leave it boiling until the room fills with steam. Stand with your back to the sun and you should find a glory around your head and your brockenspectre. I tried the experiment a number of times and during the winter period on a cold day ,as an added bonus, my breath out of my mouth created a second ring outside the glory itself. Its well worth having a go and I would be interested in any optic members who have tried this. Just try not drown yourself in the steam and watch the kettle doesn't boil dry.

PS I have seen your high sun halo displays and reckon you have done a good job there! Here in the United Kingdom the sun only gets to the height necessary for a circumhorizontal arc for two weeks either side of the summer solstice and that time is (for me at least) in a couple of weeks. Have seen part of an infralatral arc (twice) in two successive exhaust trails last year.

Best Wishes

Kevin