From: Les Cowley (sun1_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/11/2002

> Sun
>
> ?
>

> ----S-------------------------------W-------------

> Angular distance between sun is two lots of thumb-to-pinkie
> distance, so if one lot of thumb-to-pinkie is the usual 22, then
> this is about 44.
>
> Red is innermost, nearer the sun, the colours change nicely
> through the rainbow hues to blue, so blue on the left, red on the right.
> Nice rainbow colours, better saturation than a sundog usually,

As Kevin Boyle has already suggested, it was probably a fragment of infralateral arc produced by horizontal column crystals. At 1620 UT the Sun was indeed ~30 degrees high. Below is a quick and grainy simulation for that altitude. For reference I added a few poorly oriented

crystals to form the 22 degree halo.

If there was sufficient cirrus present bright upper and lower tangent arcs

'should' also have been visible.

Apologies for the image (only 11k!).

Les