From: Jarmo Moilanen (jarmom_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/26/2002

Hi Michael and listees,

> Dear Listees,
>
> My two week trip in Florida went very well I
> even went clear down to Key West. I did not see
> any waterspouts but I did see some nice rainbows
> and some halos, speaking of halos I got a couple
> of odd radius displays the best had 9,18, and 23
> degree halos with 18 and 23 degree parhelia the
> most unusual part of the display was that on the
> 9 degree halo there was a sharp concave arc
> tangenting the left side of the circular halo can
> anyone tell me what it is?

That is probably 9 degree column arc (= 9 degree "tangent" arc). It rises from single oriented column crystals which has pyramids at least in one end, probably (usually?) in both ends. It is a quite rare halo form. At high sun it produce sort of "elliptical halo" around the sun and 9 degree halo tangenting the later one on both sides. Its radii downward is larger than upward. At low sun it is usually a suncave or vertical arcs (or brightenings) on both side of 9 degree halo. It has two component, upper and lower, but they are always visible at the same time (unless ice crystal
cloud is not limited somehow).

Congratulation of nice observation!

Best regards,
Jarmo