From: Pascal ORRIT (pasorr-2_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/07/2003

Hello skywatchers!
and Happy New Year, by the way, lots of halos, everyone! ;)

Back from my new year´s day´s trip in Tallin and Helsinki, I have noticed a
sparse diamond dust in Tallin, 2nd of January. To be seen were the two parhelia, and a lower sun pillar, for sun elevation of about 10º above horizon,
temperature about -20ºC. I could not notice anything else. Oh, yes, and a parhelion later same day, but at high level in Cirrus clouds.

In relation to the discussion about what your left and right eyes see, it is
interesting to notice something in the case of diamond dust. Since you see each single crystal sparkling in the sun, you can be quite sure
that your right eye will not see the same crystal than your left eye. But still, by opening the two eyes at the same time, you can "see" a single
object (parhelion, pillar or whatever), quite nice to look at, by the way.

I have seen a better diamond dust, though. It was last year in Nancy, France,
where I could see an Upper Tangent Arc for sun elevation of about 20 or 30 degreees, temperature must have been between -5 and -10ºC.

Sorry for the inhabitants of warm countries (without snow), diamond dust is not
very likely there...

Regards,

 Pascal.

PS : also in Tallin : artificial lights pillars, and breath coronas. The last
ones were nice, because of the distant and powerful spotlights lightning the
castle (and just hidden by the wall), and dark sky as background.

  • Pascal Orrit *
  • Student at Luleå University of Technology, Sweden *
  • Address : *
  • Tunastigen, 16 *
  • 973 44 LULEÅ *
  • SWEDEN *
  • e-mail : pasorr-2_at_student.luth.se *