From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/22/2003

> Indeed, I was wondering, with several observations of a double
> primary arc well separated, why there was no(?) observation of
> double arcs NOT well separated... Maybe they occur but are not nice
> to look at, so we do not care? Or maybe because the only time you
> get very different raindrops in a same area is -apparently- near a
> thunderstorm cloud....? The second solution would confirm Haralds
> theory.

We usually have large separation when we have reflected bows. However, it would seem to be that if this phenomenon is caused by nonspherical drops, we would require stronger nonsphericity to get larger separation. To get stronger deformation, you need larger drops, and those are also much more likely to oscillate. Slightly nonspherical drops are more likely to be similarly deformed and thus cause a distict phenomenon.

Timo