From: James McGough (jmcgough_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/28/2003

All this talk about double rainbows reminds me of a very peculiar double rainbow I saw a number of years ago; two rainbows superimposed but displaced by about 1/2 the width of the arc. The result was somewhat like McDonald's "golden arches" but one arch overlapping the other. The bows were in other respects similar in size and shape.

The only explanation I can think of is sunlight reflected upon water. I was looking more or less east-north-east in the afternoon, on the shore of a calm body of water which extended to the south of me.

Any comments from anyone?

Jim McGough