From: Kevin Boyle (Newchapelobservatory_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/18/2003

Dear all

I read somewhere ages ago that the ancients called these sun rays 'crepuscular rays' because they saw them diverging up from the horizon after sunset or before sunrise which seems odd because they are not as common as beams coming out from behind a cumulus or the ones shining through floccus clouds.

When explaining to people about crespucular rays, I very rarely use the term, anyway and quite often refer to them as sunbeams or sunrays, or just simply rays. I only use 'crespucular rays' for reports, etc.

What would you then call anti-crepuscular rays?

Regards

Kevin