From: Les Cowley (sun1_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/31/2003

Fellow rainbow watchers:

We had a bright rainbow on the evening of 25th July which had two clear supernumerary
arcs inside the primary bow. What was more unusual, however, was that there was a
faint but obvious supernumerary arc outside the secondary bow.

Its spacing from the main arc was greater than that of the primary supernumeraries
as you would expect from Mie theory.

The little photo attached has been enhanced to show the supernumerary but it
does not really do the real scene justice. It was much clearer to the unaided eye. It's
only included in the hope that it will tease out some better images of a secondary
bow supernumerary! It's possible to get them from hosepipe bows (Michael
Ellasted posted one here a few months ago) but I don't recall ever seeing one before
on a 'natural' secondary bow. Are they that rare?

Les