From: Keith Pickering (keithp_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/20/2003

Hi,

This was not a light pillar, which appears above the sun, or above any bright light source, typically near or below the horizon. (One very cold morning I saw a flashing light pillar from the turn-signal of a car beyond the top of a hill!) Given the time of night, direction, and duration, this does not seem possible.

Given your description, the two most likely events are, IMHO:

  1. A man-made bright-light source from Cloverdale, such as a searchlight turned on and then off again. Could also be, for example, an upward-turned floodlight intended to light a billboard or building, temporarily badly-aimed while being replaced or repaired.
  2. An aurora of brief duration. The shape you describe is certainly unusual, but perhaps not unprecedented?

Given the exceptionally brief duration, I suspect the former. Any other ideas?

Keith Pickering