From: Jarmo Moilanen (halos_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 12/03/2004

Hi all,

I have also looked for Hastings arcs, but did not see any convincing sign of them. I need to check if I can see them with emboss.

I do not trust that emboss filter too much. It may produce some artefacts as almost all filters can do. I use mainly unsharp masking for looking faint features from (hopefully) original files. Usually if something is not showing up with USM, it is not there. USM may also produce some artefacts especially when working with already compressed, enhanced or badly scanned photos, so you must be carefull.

Nice simulations, but halos are way too sharp and narrow I think. They do not look realistic. Try to make it look more like Arto's photos. There is also that suncross, which tells me that you used homogenous column population, which is not the case in nature.

Jarmo