From: S. Jak (jak_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 04/14/1999

To all halo-observers

Please could you contact me if :

You have seen, or read about, halos that were moving. I know that there are
many registrations about moving halos (ripples), espacialy in anthelions.

Halos during thunderstorms
But in 1987, in Holland, i've seen in the ci-clouds of a huge thundercloud a halo that was moving at the same time of lightning (that you could hear at the 'crisp' on the AM-radio frequency), it looked like a flame of a candle that was moving due to wind. It repeated several times before low clouds made it unpossible to see.
Almost the same was seen in 1991 (also in Holland) at the time of a huge thunderstorm by an other (very good) observer. The halo's were possible only parts of the circumscirbed halo and upper tangent arc (so, perhaps not very special)

We suppose that there must be a relation to the thunderstorm, but what and why ?

It's also my advice to look carefully at any thunderstorm (always nice to look at....), to serach for this phenomena.

I would like to have more information!

For your information: I'm buissy with a large investigation about halos in
the Netherlands for the period 1987-1996 (and before), witch contains all the halos that were seen in that period. As you probably know, the Netherlands have a remarkable (and long) period of halo-observations.

Please let me know!

Greetings,

Stefan Jak