From: Gary A. Becker (gabecker_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/26/1997

At 07:10 PM 8/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyone have an answer to this one? I'm not a current subscriber to
"METEOPTIC",
>so please respond to me directly as well as the list. Thanks!
>
>Lew Gramer
>owner-meteorobs_at_latrade.com

Lew Gramer:

        I would presume that since a halo effect is not really a high contrast event--and it is large (the thickness of the arc) the spreading out
of the image by magnifying it with binoculars would tend to reduce its contrast rather than enhance it. Thus the event would appear less spectacular through binoculars. The optical excellence of the binoculars would be an important consideration also. That's my guess...

                                Gary A. Becker
                                www.astronomy.org