From: Eberhard Traenkle (traenkle_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 02/04/1997

> I wish these light scattering theories would be simpler, but they
aren't.
> I guess we just have to live with that. :-(
>
> - Timo Nousiainen

I am used to work with complex theories in physics. From my point of view the situation is not bad in case of scattering of light by spherical water droplets. We have a solution of the exact Maxwell equations equations: the Mie solution. It describes at the same time rainbows, coronas and glories. Geometrical optics and diffraction theory as well as surface waves are well defined approximations of the Mie solution. If you use the notions of the Mie solution there are no difficulties. The intensity of the scattered light as a function of the scattering angle can be calculated for small water droplets using a PC. The Fortran Code of the calculation of the Mie solution is published in Bohren and Huffman. Only for large water drops there may be some convergence problems.

For example I get a good simulation of photographs taken by Riikonen, Moilanen and Piikki which show the rainbow and the glory at the same time.

                      Regards
                      Eberhard Tr"ankle
--
#  Eberhard Traenkle                                              #