From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 02/03/1997

Paul Schlyter: "Re: DD meteoptics" (Feb 2, 10:48):

> 3. "Spectre of Brocken", "Glory", "Anti-Corona": these are different
> names of the same phenomenon, which is due to diffraction in small
> water droplets floating freely in the air. It's typically seen on a
> cloud if you're above the cloud. This phenomenon, which is quite
> complex, is probably related to the rainbow. We all know the
> appearance and the cause of the ordinary rainbow, right? If the
> water drops get smaller, diffraction of light will cause visible
> effects. First one will see extra (or supernumerary) rainbows,
> immediately inside the primary raindow, with colors like
> red-blu-red-blue/etc up to three or even 4-5 times. If the water
> droplets are even smaller, the primary rainbow vanishes and only the
> supernumerary bows are seen, but their colors are now so well mixed
> that we only see them as white -- this is the "fog-bow". The fog-bow
> is a few degrees smaller than the normal primary rainbow. Now, if
> the water droplets get even smaller than that, the fogbow will become
> smaller still, and fainter -- until it all "converges" into a spot a
> few degrees in diameter, directly opposite the Sun. Since all the
> light now is concentrated in a fairly small spot, this "degenerated
> fog-bow" once again becomes visible, as the anti-corona, or glory.

This theory may not be quite correct. It cannot explain the bright colours usually seen in glories, for example. I think it was Van De Hulst who showed in his famous book (scattering light by small particles, 1957, or something like that) that glories cannot be explained as a phenomenom of geometric optics, but instead, one must consider a phenomenom called surface waves as well. I don't want to go into details which I don't remember (or even quite understand), but those who wish can check it out from the forementioned book, or Greenlers book, for example.

About diffraction. I think diffraction cannot cause backscattering, even for rayleigh scatterers all the diffracted light is concentrated to the forward half of the space. Thus, diffraction can only play the part in glory if multiple scattering takes place. This in turn is quite likely as the clouds where glories are seen are usually optically thick. Were you referring to multiple scattering or did I miss a point somewhere?

I wish these light scattering theories would be simpler, but they aren't. I guess we just have to live with that. :-(

  • Timo Nousiainen