From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/08/1997

  • Forwarded Message Follows -------

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 01:19:39 +0100
From: Paul Schlyter <pausch_at_saaf.se>
Subject: Re: Winter Solstice Halo

> In wintertime you can see often bright and colorful halo in
> diamond dust (ice crystals on the air near the ground level).

In Stockholm we had just such a halo display on a very cold day in early January 1996, i.e. about one year ago. For the first time in my life I saw a really good display of the 45-degree halo: apart from the parts below the horizon, the 45-degree halo was complete, without breaks.

Of course lots of other halo components were visible too: 22-deg halo, brilliant sundogs, upper tangeltial arc, circumzenithal arc, counter-sun with a few arcs.

This was a halo display to remember.

Paul Schlyter, Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF) Grev Turegatan 40, S-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch_at_saaf.se     psr_at_net.ausys.se    paul_at_inorbit.com
WWW:     http://www.raditex.se/~pausch/

http://spitfire.ausys.se:8003/psr/