From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/15/1996

> Do you mean that the brightening of moon is only caused by disappearing
> of shadows, or that the term "opposition effect" only consist of this
> shadow effect?

  No, no ... I was not talking about the Moon at all. As we know   the ordinary discussion was about these phenomena we see in our   landscape: brightening on the ground near anti-solar point. We   can call this as well as "opposition effect" as "dry heiligenschein".     I just suppose, that disappering of the shadows is only   reason of these phenomena unlike in the opposition effect of the   Moon, where the shadow effect is only partial reason.

  It is perhaps better to leave word "opposition effect" only for   solar system bodies, which includes also other optical reason   for brightening.

  In the other hand, I don't know, if "dry heiligenschein" includes   also some back scattering components. Does anybody know studies   of this phenomena (I am now talking about these "on-the-ground"   phenonmena). The popular books gives the disappering of the   shadown as only explanation.

                                                -VeikkoM-