From: Pekkola J Marko (JMPEKKOLA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/21/1996

> I had no intention to point out that altocumulus virga is the only valid
> source for hydrometeros causing the elliptical haloes.

Timo, you missread the conversation. Look at the earlier mails. In the first mails the Ac Virga was listed as the cloud type, whereas you have done nothing of the sort. Hence is a sheer impossibility for anybody criticizing YOU of that. It was a part of an explanation referring to letters that went to Meteoptic before you had partaken the issue at all.

> Have you considered the fact that Mr Nousiainen observed the
> phenomenen half a kilometer from the pipe, whereas Hakumaki made
his observation about a half a kilometer further away.

Due to having having lived for 15 years in a geometrical point that is approximately 250 m from your home and roughly 150 m from that of Hakumaki, and between the places of you two gentleman - yes, the thought has occurred to me.

At that day you were both along the plume cloud route, which is evident in your combined photo shots.

In Fairbanks we drove with a car crisscros city for several hours on consequintive days. We went for plumes, we drove both outside plume clouds and under them, and along and through the plume routes. If you dont see any halos outside particular plume route and when you go in foot the plume minus couple of hundred meters with the plume in zenith and you see visual virga directly from that plume dropping directly to your feet and making instant coffee halos, and you experience this several times, it then requires some hell of a intellectual eye-closing and extraordinary explanation talent not to admit that this actually is happening.

That might recall Dr. Können the high moment of The Dutch Royal Meteorological Institute when the meteorologist in charge answered to a telephone complaint about unforecasted, present rain: "Its impossible" and closed the phone.

Arctic plume raiding by car in hell-cold temperatures is a very eye-opening experience, a thing we managed to miss in Kuopio back in the days of KuVaR. Halo people are nowadays painfully aware of the discrepancy between laboratory and nature concerning ice crystal growth. That is one of the main reasons we are going to Antarctica to study halos at all.

South Pole researchers have gone routinely through ice crystal blitzkriegs in which water droplet clouds turn into crystals within the very time span that you quote referred as being a dangerous assumption and that you quote considered as inadequate.

> I wave no intention of crashing your argument against AC virga as
the > only source, neither do I try to prove industrial smoke is not
> responsible for the elliptical halo observed (and photographed) in this
> peculiar case.

There was no-one suggesting you were wishing to intend such things.

> I merely want to point out that IF the argument for
> industrial smoke is based on this one observation alone, then it should
> be noted there is really no hard evidence for it.

If you have an ellipse photographed against a plume cloud like in Feb 1988 display, it is then literally a piece of evidence. It is better than average in those conditions as we both know. In the light of Fairbanks experiences it gives essentially more than 50% that the halo is from that particular plume. What the stationary photos from two p oints don't give - without e.g. car driving around the plume, crystal replicas etc etc - it doesn't give full certainty that the halo is from that particular source - and from this we probably agreed in the first place.

Piikki's and Sillanpaa's photos will be asked from the photographers to be sent to Applied Optics - similarly as with the earlier examples. Besides Timo, you are (sincerely)  and heartfully welcomed for a visit to see the pictures. Also I invite you to make a comment about them.

Regards, Marko Pekkola