From: JMPEKKOLA_at_hidden_email_address.net
Date: 10/18/1996

Thank you Eberhard of your interesting answer. I suggest we proceed since disagreement in meteorological optics is quite rare and therefore particularly interesting. Naturally I d like to point out such things that might weaken your theory or be in support of another choice.

I invite you to do the same to any arguments by me. The main thing is finding the right solution - regardless who does it or who might have been wrong or right in the past.

  1. NUMBER OF TILT POPULATIONS?

>of gyrating snow-stars. A stable fallmode of gyrating snow-stars was
>observed,performing flight experiments with styrofoam models in a
staircase with a free fall height of 15 m.

I'll skip the obvious part of the difference between tiny ice crystals in air and large styrofoam models in staircase, since it doesnt bring much new. Instead: What kind of tilt angles do you need to those snow stars in order to get say 3-4 different sized ellipses simultaneously in the sky? How many different tilt populations do you need?

2. SAME CRYSTALS AS WELL
>In our model Bottlinger's rings and elliptical halos are produced by
>the same crystals at the same time.

This can be reached by single scattering in pyramidal crystals as well. Simulations by Timo Kinnunen reach exactly the same.

3. THE QUESTION OF COLOR
>Elliptical halos are produced by multiple
>reflections at gyrating snow-stars. Because it is a reflection
>phenomenon the rings should not show color separation.

Here you seem to put the theory dictating that observations and photographs are wrong.

In recent photographic series of elliptical halos by Sillanpaa spectral colors are quite clear. Colors were faintly evident for example in Ruoskanen's 1993 display already. Hence: Supporting explanations based in reflection only means consciensly omitting the color observations in elliptical halos.

4. RESERVATIONS TO CLOUD TYPE AND NON-FIXED ANGLES I think that the scattering by pyramidal crystals cannot >explain
> - that elliptical halos have mainly been observed in altocumulus virga
> - that the rings have small widths and no fixed values of the radii

Elliptical halos are often observed in cirrocumulus lenticularis, altocumulus  lenticularis, in diamond dust against stratocumulus and possibly in the virga of all or some of the mentioned cloud types. They have also been observed in diamond dust from industrial smoke, in "blue sky" nearby high cirrostratus etc. In many observations where the observer has spoken of "altocumulus lenticularis" the cloud cells reveal in photographs to be smaller than 1 degree, which is contradictive with the definition and hence places the cloud to cirrocumulus types which are far higher up.

It is not certain that the rings would not have fixed values of radii. Equally it is difficult to explain by gyrations how at some day one would have such and such many populations of snow stars permanently tilted in one manner, and the next day permanently tilted in another tilt angles. It is a really complex demand of behaviour. On the other hand in the halo theory advanced so far hardly anything is complex.
>From the last sentence acknowledgement goes to Walt Tape.

Regards, Marko