From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/19/1996

JMPEKKOLA_at_elo.helsinki.fi: "Debate of Bottlinger's and ellipticals" (Oct 18, 14:20):
> Thank you Eberhard of your interesting answer. I suggest we

> Elliptical halos are often observed in cirrocumulus lenticularis, alto-
> cumulus lenticularis, in diamond dust against stratocumulus and possibly
> in the virga of all or some of the mentioned cloud types. They have also
> been observed in diamond dust from industrial smoke, ...

Are you referring to the observation by Hakumaki and Nousiainen? If so, I would like to point out that the vinicity of industrial smoke doesn't prove anything about the origin of the ice crystals (?) causing the observed elliptical halo. It may be plausible, but rather dangerous assumption. Especially considering this special case, the ice crystals should have been nucleated and grown in a time scale of a minute or two, which I would consider inadequate, especially taking count on the fact that water vapour is rather warm when it leaves the pipe.

  • Timo Nousiainen