From: Paul Williams (PWILLIAMS_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/15/1996

        This past weekend, Thanksgiving in Canada, I had the good fortune of being able to camp in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta. Our camp area is around an abandoned grass airstrip. On both Saturday and Sunday mornings it was cool; the temperature was -3° and -1°C respectively. The grassy airstrip was very frosty. As the sun came up over the mountains in a perfectly clear sky, the frost crystals on the uniform grassy field produced a lovely optical effect.

        Looking towards the sun, one could see a parabolic arc openning towards the sun in the frost on the ground. This arc was coloured red to violet from the inside out. I believe the horizontal arc was a 22° halo normally seen as circular around the sun in the air. This halo was the conic section of the horizontal ground intersecting the cone of vision around the sun. The sun elevation at the time was approximately <10°. There were no ice crystals or fog in the air, thus no "normal" halo effects.

        I have noticed this effect several times on uniformly frosted large surfaces, but not so distinctly. I have also seen this more distinctly on a smooth parking lot after a very light and uniform snowfall of about 1 cm.