From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 10/08/1996

Jun Lao: "Re: Color in wispy clouds" (Oct 8, 0:19):

> Guess, the position of the colors and the colored bow I saw superimposed
> over hazy cloudtops
> would make the position where a rainbow would be. Would the fact that I
am
> airborne and have
> less air to see the bow account for its being more "irridescent"-looking
> than the normal rainbow
> that one sees on the ground?

Come to think of it, hazy cloud top indicates that the cloud top has been frozen. Thus, there should be no rainbow. If there was rain below the clouds and you saw the colours there, then the rainbow would be logical explanation, not with frozen cloud top. Wonder if there are any colored sub-halos at the opposite site of the sun? :-)

  • Timo