From: Veikko Makela (Veikko.Makela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/10/1996

>Last night while viewing the full moon (at its closest to Earth for
>this year) there were scattered clouds and some "haze" around and
>near it. I observed what appeared to be light pillars similar to sun
>pillars extending upward and downward from the moon. They went away
>once the sky had cleared completely from around the vicinity of the
>moon. Were they "moon pillars" and, if so, do they occur rarely or
>frequently? It was the first time I had noticed them.

   Pillars are quite common. After 22-degree ring, pillars are    the second common halo from with parhelia (sun dogs). In case    of Moon pillars are perhaps more common that moon dogs. Moon    pillar is also the halo form which can be seen by quite a    young or old moon (before first and after last quarter).

   Be careful when looking Moon in low altitude, pillars are seen    more often you believe.

                                            -Veikko-