From: James McGough (jmcgough_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/02/1996

Marko Riikonen wrote:

> Convex mirror is invaluable tool for halo-observers. Faint halos come up
much
> better and the most faintest halos are seen only with aid of convex
mirror.
> I've been using car blind-spot mirror. It is handy in a crowded place;
no need
> to raise the hand. It is also good when driving car and in aeroplane to
check
> the halos higher in the sky. And they are cheap; I bought them for
$1.6/mirror
> last january from Fairbanks, Alaska. The evenness of the mirros surfaces
vary
> a lot depending on the brand - some are really good.
>
> Marko RiikonenThanks for the suggestion. I quickly ran out and got such
a mirror
about 9cm in diameter. It seems to work very well, though only once since have I seen a halo on which to try it. It seems that it can also work well with a camera; the resulting picture is small, of course, and not thrilling, but promises to be useful for analysis. I got my mirror at an auto supply store for US$2 here in Seattle (interesting that it should be cheaper in Alaska); it was wrapped in plastic which made it hard to inspect the surface. On unwrapping, it was not perfect, but serviceable. I have tried to avoid scratching it (I wrap it with an old sock when not in use), but nonetheless it is now scratched. Good thing they're cheap.

Once again thanks for the suggestion.

Jim McGough
Seattle
USA