From: James Lowery (PPA0001_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/31/1996

Last night while viewing the full moon (at its closest to Earth for this year) there were scattered clouds and some "haze" around and near it. I observed what appeared to be light pillars similar to sun pillars extending upward and downward from the moon. They went away once the sky had cleared completely from around the vicinity of the moon. Were they "moon pillars" and, if so, do they occur rarely or frequently? It was the first time I had noticed them.

By the Way, THANKS to the people who posting techniques for blocking out the sun during the day in order to observe phenomena near the sun. I have been making good use of the upper corners of buildings and street lights for this purpose. Thanks again for the tips.

--James Lowery
  An amateur astronomer by night or day