From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/08/1996

> I have a special interest in cloudbows. I've only seen one in my
> whole life, and I didn't know what it was when I saw it. I mean, it
> was obviously something shaped like a rainbow, yet appeared to be
> made of clouds, but I'd never heard of them before. Luckily, I was
> on vacation when I saw it and took some pictures. When I got the
> pictures back, I researched it and found out that what I saw was a
> cloudbow!

    Hello, Bev!

    I looked your WWW page about cloudbows. Very nice, indeed.     I also includes it into the METEOPTIC home page link list     (http://www.funet.fi/pub/astro/html/eng/obs/meteoptic/).

    One question: How you can call one bow as cloudbow and another     as fogbow. You are talking in your page that cloudbows are     pure white, but fogbows could some colours. Bob Greenler     mentioned in his book "Rainbows, Halos and Glories" that     white rainbows are called often cloudbows _or_ fogbows.     I am a little bit confused of this terminology. What I saw     in your photos, I should call them as fogbows. Is it so,     that fog is just stratus clouds which extending to ground     level? There is, a think, not very big difference between     cloud and fog..

    Well if see a bow on clouds from airplane, I surely call it     as cloudbow.. but if there is fog on gorund level I will     call it surely fogbows. But tell me, what I have been, when     I observed in last March bows at 2000 m altitude in La Palma.     In First case there were clouds below me in Caldera (a wide     volcanic crater or valley) and I saw white bow there and also     small glory around my shadows. I guess those clouds were     few kilometers away from my place. In the second case there     came cloud from see and there climbed up the mountain. Few     hundred meters from me I saw well defined (much sharper than     in the first case) bright white, red/blue-edged bow. Should     we call these cloudbows?

    I got some nice photos, which I could perhaps put into WWW.

                                               -VeikkoM-