From: Sirko Molau (sirko.molau_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/05/1996

Hello Jun,

> halo coloration was apparent in the pictures too. Anyone know how
> frequent colored lunar halos occur, and why they seem to happen much
> less than the white halos?

generally lunar are much less freqeunt than solar halos. To my mind that is mainly because the conditions for such event are rare, too. You need a bright (i.e. almost full) moon and uniform cirrus for a lunar halo to be seen at all. In addition, you can observe more often at daytime than during the night. On average, I am observing solar halos on approximately 70 days per year, but only about 10 days with lunar halos.

So long, I've never seen colored lunar halos, since they are *really* rare. In the German network such events are observed only a few times per year. I guess it has to do with the sensitivety of our eyes: If the light source is too faint, we don't see any colors but only black/white images. So many lunar halos might in fact be colored, but we cannot recognize it in most cases. Remember great comet Hyakutake (if it was
visible from your latitude ;-) - it showed wonderful colors on photographs, but they did not appear to the naked eye. Sirko