From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/03/1996

> I have seen similar looking Mother of Pearl clouds in Finland. They are
> somewhat rare clouds located in the atmosphere about 30 km from ground
and
> often show vivid spectral coloring. They are only seen during the
wintertime
> and are caused by mountains that make humid air to rise as high as 30
km.
> But there shouldn't be Mother of Pearl clouds in Philippines since they
are,
> as far a I know, limited only to polar areas (they are seen also in
> Antarctic).

   Yes, mother-of-pearl (or nacreous) clouds needs some special    conditions:

  • extra-ordinary cold temperature in stratosphere (in 17-30 kms altitude). About -90C...-120C.
  • They have seen on lee side side of mountains, normally in north-south direction, because strong winds usually blow only from west in northern hemisphere. As Marko told, to mountains caused wavy wind, which both raises humidity to stratosphere and cools the layer.

   Is there such of conditions in Philippines? I guess these    temperatures are perhaps possible also tropic stratosphere,    or isn't it?

   Only areas, I know, where to mother-of-pearl clouds exists    are Scandinavia, Scotland and northern coasts of Antartica.    There could be more.

                                               -VeikkoM-