From: Juergen Rendtel (jrendtel_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/18/1996

>From Potsdam (52.5 deg N) I spotted the first faint NLC
on May 31, and a few more in June. However, all were quite faint and in most cases I used a binocular to be sure about their nature.
In the last seasons, the brightest NLC appeared towards end June/early July.
Since the sky brightening reported by Lew Gramer occurred before the end of astronomical twilight, this has nothing to do with NLC. Only if the sun is less than 16 degrees below horizon, an observer can see sunlit NLC. The southernmost NLC reported to me in 1995 was from Austria (47.8 deg N).

Juergen