From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/12/1996

Veikko M{kel{: "airglow and nocturnal vision" (Mar 9, 14:06):

> Hi-
> Many nocturnal animals have excellent ultra violet
> perception. Where does the UV radiation come from at night
> to allow these animals to use this ability? Is there enough
> UV radiation at the 300-400nm range on the earth's surface
> at night for animals to hunt, navigate, etc?
> I've heard of a phenomena called "airglow" but am not at
> all sure what it is. Can you describe it to me and give me
> an opinion if there would be enough near level UV for
> animals to use?

Airglow is non-thermal, non-auroral electromagnetic radiation emitted by Earth's atmosphere. It is photon emission from air molecules excited directly or undirectly by the electromagnetic radiation by Sun. Auroras, on the other hand, are caused by particle radiation of Sun. Most radiation from airglow reaches surface as IR radiation, because airglow radiation originates far above ozone layer. However, they do emit visible and UV radiation too, and UV radiation observed from space (no UV absorbtion by atmosphere) is quite strong.

If I recall right, airglow is stronger at southern hemisphere and during spring and autumn. I have no idea about the sensitivity of the eyes of nocturnal animals, but one would believe they are sensitive enough, if they are to hunt during nighttime. Thus would say that airglow is important
and sufficient source of UV radiation at night.

  • Timo Nousiainen