From: pepin%cfa4.DECNET_at_hidden_email_address.net
Date: 07/05/1995

Hi People!
Photo sites are proliferating on the Web.. Tom Polakis site and links from it have considerable atmospheric stuff... even Tornados. If you simply scan your material at "screen resolution", i.e., 72 dots per inch, then upload, there is no way any serious piracy can take place--if such is even a real consideration--and yet the shots will look as good as any on-screen. It's nice to have the
"millions of colors" and JPEG format rather than GIF: The files tend to
be smaller (and yes, less liable to be published without permission, since it is a "lossy" compression type).
One of my main problems (speaking strictly personally) is the many kinds of files seemingly found in Euro sites-- some can't even be viewed by
"Euro" graphics utilities like GraphicConverter (Mac), but that is all
getting
easier now with the HTML in place.
By the way, S&T now has a fast connection to the web, so anyone who wants me (Speaking business now) to look at their stuff for possible publication just e-mail me the ftp or Web site address. And have fun!
Best regards,
Barlow S&T