From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/19/1995

Marko Riikonen: "Exhaust impurities/circumhorizontal arc" (May 18, 12:28):

> Exhaust impurities could have also something to do
> with the plate crystal formation by causing heterogeneous
> nucleation that could favor plate crystal formation.

I'm not quite sure about this (ages since I studied the subject), but I think freezing nuclei don't affect directly to the marcoscopic shape of crystals, but only to the molecular structure of ice. And when we are dealing with troposphere, practically the hexagonal structure is the only possible one. Thus the factors affecting the macroscopic shape of ice crystals are temperature and humidity.

   However, impurities could affect ice crystals by enhancing the freeze up of undercooled water droplets, so theoretically it is quite possible that ice crystals are different inside and outside the exhaust contrail, even if the meteorologic conditions are the same in the whole layer. Also, there are some indirect effects, for example, growth of ice crystals do change the relative humidity and thus may affect the chape of new crystals. I'm not aware whether these indirect effects are important.

  • Timo Nousiainen