From: Alister Ling (watcher_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/17/1995

The association of green clouds with severe weather is a "solid" one. I'd be suprised if there wasn't a comment on this topic in Weatherwise magazine, since they frequently deal with questions from readers.

In general, my view is that the severe weather clouds that are green (and I too have pictures) are quite low, and simply reflect (backscatter) the green vegetation at ground level. Anyone seen green clouds above yellow fields? I'm not sure I can buy the color via scattering off right sized droplets hypothesis, since droplets are vastly larger than the wavelength of light, and we enter Mie scattering range. Typically large particles scatter white light. In a severe thunderstorm, the droplets are going to be sized all over a alrge range, tending to imply that the resulting scatter would be white. Of course, if the terrain below is green, then the cloud will take on that sheen.

Alister.

My soul is an enchanted boat,
Which, like a sleeping swan, doth float
Upon the silver waves of thy sweet singing.

  • Percy Bysshe Shelley