From: Makela Veikko (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/12/1995

Darryn Schneider's oral folklore about the green clouds squares with my own boyhood experience in the U.S. Midwest. Not so much green clouds, as a green cast to the sky was considered a sure portent of a "twister" (tornado)-- which was the scourge of that area. These tornados often demolish portions of small towns and farm, and cause loss of life every year.
I have no meteorological explanation for the color, except that it may be a scattering phenomenon of the crystal or droplet size in the clouds concerned. Perhaps our Finnish analysts have some clue to the mechanism.

By the way, we have received some interesting photographs at Sky & Telescope, prompted by the Atmospheric Symphony article in the May issue. Some very fine crepuscular rays, tales of "moonbows" also.
"...we missed the lunar eclipse due to a time zone confusion, but saw something I hadn't heard of before: a moonbow. We were on top of a mountain, with fog banks rolling in and out around us, and at one point the fog built up on one side only, and opposite from the moon. That was when we saw the moonbow -- a softly glowing semicircle on the fog bank. We couldn't distinguish any colors, and after a while the fog receded, taking the moonbow with it.
Regards,
William Nelson (Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA)" Over and out,
Barlow Pepin
Associate Editor Sky & Telescope