From: Mika Sillanpää (masillan_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/14/2006

Hi Claudia & Wolfgang,

That's an awsome observation! Unless I am missing some recent observations (it's very much possible) this is definitely the best elliptical halo case where the _subhorizon_ part is documented so well, and clearly arises in the very same crystal population as the ellipse itself (individual crystals visible both subhorizon and in the ellipse). What comes to my mind immediately is that you didn't mention nor I can see it in your pictures, namely the Bottlinger's rings. Did you see any hints of these? I cannot easily work out an explanation for the lack of Bottlingers when ellipses appear, based on the crystals we have worked with. Also the very low intensity of the subsun in the first picture is striking. The subsun seems to be much brighter in the last picture, but I cannot see if the ellipse was present in the last picture. Was the subsun somehow correlated in time with the ellipse?

Cheers,
Mika Sillanpää
Boulder