From: Jarmo Moilanen (halos_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/08/2005

Hi,

Sorry this late reply, but I used wrong e-mail first and it probably did not come through...

That is a great upper Lowitz arc ("up Lowitz" variety) indeed! Best I have seen ever.

However, names mentioned with photos are somehow mixed. Some of photo which claims that there is Lowitz arc and circular Lowitz have only upper Lowitz arc (Greenler's component B). It is upper Lowitz which tangent with upper suncave Parry arc. Circular Lowitz arc (comp. C) tangent only upper sunvex Parry arc when sun is low. In photos where is said to be unusual Lowitz arc seems to have circular Lowitz (arc straight upward from parhelia) plus both lower (comp. A) and upper Lowitz arcs.

Colors on parhelic circle seems to be blue spot effect as Harald suggested.

I think that Harald is right and that "90d parhelion" is only a brightening caused by the cloud stripe. Follow that stripe toward 22d halo and you see how it makes also 22d halo brighter and broader. That "90d parhelion" seems to be also way too close to sun... So, no we have not seen any convincing 90d parhelia photo yet.

Jarmo