From: Veikko Makela (Veikko.Makela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/13/2000

Quoting Mark Vornhusen <mark.vornhusen_at_T-ONLINE.DE>:

> I think it is possible that also halos can be caused by reflected
> sunlight. E.g. halos in ice-fog above a frozen lake. Probably also
> secondary halos to the subsun do exist. What do you think?

I am just thinking that the ice cover on the lake is maybe not so good reflector as a water surface. There are almost always some impurities in the ice, maybe some air bubles in it orsome snow on it and the ice surface is not so even as a calm water surface. The light will diffract too much.

In case of winter and diamond dust in the air may be so close enough the reflecting surface the reflected halo effect is possible. You know in case of rainbows the water droplets are, I think, quite near the water surface. In summer conditions I don't think, the reflected halos are possible, because the ice crystals are in so far away from the reflecting surface.

-VeikkoM-