From: watcher_at_hidden_email_address.net
Date: 02/09/2000

Hello,

> Does the scale height of the aerosol boundary layer vary according to
> time of day (e.g., day vs. night)? Can anyone point me to a reference?

It certainly does. Most introductory meteorology texts will have a chapter on the boundary layer and its height that should answer your questions.

One point to note: during summer, over land, it is quite easy for the boundary layer to be mixed as high as 3km, even a bit higher. Smoke from forest fires can mix up a lot during the day, then get trapped below 500m at night if the fire is not too large.

Alister.