From: Paul Williams (paullwilliams_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 02/11/2000

9:30 am
Friday, Feb. 11, 2000

Greetings all,

        As I write, there is a lovely optical display in the skies over Red Deer,
Alberta, Canada (latitude: 52°). This is the best I have seen in the last several years. The temperature has taken a fairly sudden drop in the last day, currently -20°C. The sky is clear, but ice crystals are forming and falling slowly from the sky.

        Currently visible are:

22° halo: complete
46° halo: complete
22° parhelia (sun dogs): very bright and coloured
upper arcs to BOTH halos: (Parry or tangent?) sun pillar
circum-horizontal arc: partial, about 50° each side of sun.
Paul Williams                           (403) 342 3390   office
Red Deer College                        (403) 340 8940   fax
Box 5005                                        (403) 347 5419   home
Red Deer  AB  T4N 5H5           (403) 342 3300   switchboard/messages

paul.williams_at_rdc.ab.ca