From: Keith Pickering (keithp_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/29/2001

The spikes are diffraction spikes caused by a six-leaf iris in the camera lens. (Six-leaf irises are the most common, although occasionally you will see five-leaf irises, which cause either five or ten spikes.)

The pillar is a set of reflections from the edges of various lens elements.
Note that, from the center of the picture, the little circles forming the pillar are all directly opposite the Sun.

Keith Pickering