From: Jarmo Moilanen (jarmom_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/05/2002

Hi Olaf and Michael,

This kind of superior mirage (fata morgana) can be seen when warm air lies above cold air (opposite what Michael explained). There is often a very strong inversio layer between cold and warm air. What Michael explained causes those "water on the road" -mirages. You can see that kind of mirages
in northern regions when warm air is over water or ice which is still cold.
Here in Finland we can see similar mirages in spring time over sea or lakes
when water is still cold and warm air is coming from sun heated land areas.
Temperature difference between cold air layer and warm air layer must be over 12°C for decent effect.

Here is one of my photos from similar mirage (sorry, this is a small one): http://www.netppl.fi/~jarmom/i_halo/mirage.jpg It was the first warm day of the summer but the water was still cold.

Jarmo