From: Kevin Boyle (Newchapelobservatory_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 12/29/2002

Hi Michael and Les

Excellent! Glad it has worked 100 per cent for you. Never thought of a fogbow in my breath steam. But I couldn't get the sun that far over. Been meaning to try the experiment outside but due to the lack of sun I might as well use a candle. Does this mean we could get a section of rainbow, too? I wonder if the steam from the kettle would contain droplets big enough!! In the summer I have seen sections of rainbows well below the horizon with me looking down a bank and getting that critical angle. I've also seen a section of rainbow on the level roughly 5 foot or so off the ground. Natural ones with natural raindrops that is, no cheating! it's just a matter of working out the (42 deg) angle from the shadow of your head to the bow. .

The good news for me is I've found a caterers urn and it works and it doesn't automatically switch off! So I can steam the building out! :) I can also make a bigger cloud and can leave it on longer without boiling the thing dry. :)

Going to have some fun but first we have got to get the sun out!

THEN we'll try the ole Moon. :)

Kevin

PS I must urge both of you to use the kettle idea if you have got an old-fashioned one.
Any one will do, though!

I've also made iridescent colours as well using my breath with purplely and green.