From: Harald Edens (edens_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/21/2003

Hi Les, others,

here are some additional things that can be done to study the twinned bow phenomenon:

  • use polarizer in conjunction with the telephoto lens to make close-up photos of any twinned bows (the bows are tangentially polarized so the polarizer doesn't work too well for wide-angle photos). The polarizer decreases the background brightness (it acts as a ND filter for unpolarized light) while the rainbow light is transmitted almost unattenuated, if the filter is turned the correct way. The result is a rainbow that is about 2 stops brighter than the background.
  • when seeing such a bow, download and save precipitation radar images of the local weather office. Maybe it can be figured out in which direction the bow was and in what range of distances, and correlate this with the precipitation intensities.
  • when seeing a rainbow in a storm that is NOT twinned, try to study its roundness anyway. This cannot be done by photos, since wide-angle lenses will distort the image. If we can discover rainbows that are sometimes not round, we are one step closer to accepting that the twinned bow is due to a distinct mix of oblate and round droplets.
  • make stereo photos to study the 3D pattern of the twinned bow; see remark below

Remark: some may doubt the possibility of two quite distinct sizes and shapes of droplets occuring in storms. One should realize that the rainbow
is a 3D cone of light with its apex at your eye; if rainfall is everywhere. That means that the twinned bow may well be caused by drizzle very near you and a heavy downpour with large oblate droplets in the distance. Thus, the mix of droplets does not even have to be at the same position in space!

Actually, I find this explanation very pleasing, since rainbows are usually
seen at the back of receding thunderstorms. When a thunderstorm passes, you usually first get a heavy downpour of big oblate droplets, followed by a "drizzle" of smaller, rounder droplets while the trailing stratiform region is passing over.

Harald